Tuesday, October 30, 2012

CELEBRATE

October 30th.
What a glorious day to celebrate being born.
Back in 1954, my parents welcomed their second child into the world on this date.   I can only imagine how complete their life must have felt when Richard Lynn made his entrance into the world.  Hazy pictures, saved in shoe boxes over the years, provide necessary proof that it  all really was wonderful. 
Not perfect.
But wonderful.  
When Rick was eight, I was born.  Of course I never realized  the good fortune of being the baby sister until about now (I was 24 years old when he was killed in a logging accident and  I'm almost 50 now.  Sheesh.  Weird "half time" math mixed up in there....yikes... It's about time to celebrate!) 
I raise my glass to you, BlueBird. 
THANK YOU FOR BEING MY BROTHER!
Never ever once did I wonder how you felt about me.  You thought I was the greatest  and I knew it.  You took me under your own broken wing when our mom died by encouraging me to dry my tears and get ready for school each day. (I was 7, you were 15. IMAGINE). I liked it when you drove me around in your car with the windows down and the music up.  Way up. You trusted me with "our secret" when I discovered you smoking cigarettes at the bus stop!!   You carried me to safety when I fell off a bridge (breaking the "don't ride your bike across the bridge" rule in a rather dramatic way). You didn't pause or hesitate for a moment wondering how to save me.  You reacted the way any ordinary hero would and I felt safe.    Rick, you were the first "guest"  I saw on my wedding day as I prepared to walk down the isle....simply because you were arriving just in the nick of time!!   We met face to face and you beamed a reassuring smile in that moment that  I will never forget.  I loved  the way I felt seeing you there, approving of my choice and telling me everything would be alright.

The last time I saw my brother, I had baked him a birthday cake and delivered it to the hunting party he was a part of in Ukiah.  He had bagged an elk just prior to our arrival and he was elated. We sat around the campfire whoopin' and hollerin' about the days events. As the evening wore on, he talked about his children. Alot.   He was tickled with the souveniers he would be bringing back to them and, eventually,  he said he couldn't wait for me to have children.  He didn't have to convince me of his adoration and love for his children.  Selfishly, though, I still feel so fortunate that he longed for me to experience that same profound joy that made him complete.

It's pretty awesome to be loved. 


Tonight I celebrate being the little  sister of one EXTREMELY loving guy who taught me that if you love someone, let them know! And go on right ahead:  LOVE THEM UNCONDITIONALLY!  Protect them. Encourage them.  Save them when they need saving.  Roll the windows down and turn the radio up.  Sing along.  Make up words.  Smile Big.  Trust the people you love with your secrets and your shortcomings.  Tell them of your joys. 




2 comments:

  1. So beautifully said. What a wonderful way to honor your brother. And I hope that Madi will be just like him when she's a big sister, a hero that loves out loud and unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete