Saturday, February 8, 2014

Happy 80th!

February 8th, 2014. 
Today would have been my dear old dad's 80th birthday.
A milestone celebration missed  because longevity wasn't in the cards.
Unless the 66 years he was here WERE long enough and I missed that memo. (and there ARE very real elements of his years here that would quantify them as enough). Sigh.
Mostly, I'm just feeling a little sorry for myself tonight - and wishing I had figured out a few things before his time here was up. 
Much of the time I am able to feel strong and secure in knowing that dad is in a better place and I'll see him again one day - but SOME of the time I get mixed up about how we will make up for everything that was lost here. 
I wonder how delighted dad would be to share his birthday with a great grandson - Aaron Gabriel Sapp.  Seems to me it would put him over the moon!  But maybe that's just me.  I wonder how proud he would be of my MaryAnne and her husband & their young married decision to follow Jesus Christ.  Seems to me it would comfort him in ways indescribable.  But maybe that's just me.  I wonder what sort of advice he would have for my Benjamin as he starts out a career in an industry that he loved and knew and understood without a formal education.  Seems to me that he would marvel.  But maybe that's just me. 

I love you, Dad.  Happy 80th Birthday. 
From where you are I hope you can see all of the wonderful ways your grandchildren (1st and 2nd generation!) are like you and I hope it brings you some sort of "wow". 

No comments:

Post a Comment